The park was opened in 1897 as a ‘people’s park’. Whilst it has remained relatively attractive it was in decline when the friends of Heaton Moor Park group was set up in 1995 with the aim of helping the local authority reverse this trend. Randall Thorp have been assisting the friends group on a voluntary basis since 1997. This help has consisted of:
- Preparing an exhibition documenting the past, present and future of the park;
- Grant applications which have resulted in re-fencing half the park in 2000, constructing a toddlers play area in 2003, and a nature walk in 2008;
- Designing the toddlers play area, preparing tender documents and running the construction contract;
- Manual work on friends work days, and also as a Randall Thorp team day in 2008 on the new nature walk.
In 2009 we will be preparing further grant applications to enable the rejuvenation of the park to continue.